Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My skin care routine

Periodically I get asked how I have such nice skin and let me tell you its by design not by nature, naturally I have dry sensitive skin that I need to look after. So I thought I would post some information on my skin regime for future reference.



One of the obvious things about me is that I have very pale skin and I prefer to keep it that way. This means that I avoid the sun and I use products with SPF protection. Where viable I also use whitening skin products from Asia, generally this means the products wash away dark visible marks and melatonin infused skin. Avoid products that claim to bleach or lighten skin as these are often toxic. I've tried the majority of pallid skin products on the market and those below are the best I have found.



Pond's White Beauty Detox $9 for 100mls

When things are in serious trouble such as when I've come into contact with something I'm allergic to or when I have had sun exposure that has damaged my skin I highly recommend Pond's White Beauty Detox I use the Pinkish White variant. Be aware this cream detoxes your skin by removing the damaged skin. When applied the skin turns cloudy and then comes off easily when rubbed, causing a slight pilling effect. Best use of this is sparingly (once or twice a year) with an application followed immediately by an exfoliation routine such as using a cleansing brush or facial towel. This should remove the damaged skin gently and reveal your usual pale skin below. Do not use on the sensitive eye area, do not use every day.

On the high end range the Lancome Blanc Expert Spot Eraser is quite effective but at $90 for 30 mls this is no better than the ponds for 10 times the price.

Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes $10 for 50

To remove makeup I use Simple Cleansing Wipes or my cleanser; never soap or harsh makeup removers. With such dry sensitive skin the other key to my success is staying hydrated and avoiding things I'm allergic to. Hypoallergenic wipes like this are perfect. 

I use a number of Lancome products that I usually look for duty free or on sale. These are generally only available in Asia; prices listed are retail and usually ~1.5 times what I pay. 



Lancome Blanc Expert Purifying Foam $50 125ml

Every morning I use Lancome Blanc Expert Purifying Foam. This is gentle on sensitive skin but washes away tired and dead skin cells. It minimises pores wonderfully and leaves skin soft and supple. 



Lancome Blanc Expert Hydrating Emulsion - Moist $93 100ml

After cleansing and drying I apply Lancome Blanc Expert Hydrating Emulsion - Moist this is a very mild and highly moisturising cream. Only 1 pump is required to hydrate your face, so while this item is expensive one bottle will last upwards of 6 months. 


Blanc Expert Nuit $93 50ml

During Winter or when I am exposed to heavy wind (such as during sight seeing or sailing) then I also use the Blanc Expert Nuit Restoring Night Cream. I tend to not need as much of this and will often get by on samples and travel kit sizes that I am given during other purchases. Note that this cream is designed for use before bed and so does not contain any SPF protection, do not use it during the day if you wish to stay pallid.



Lancome UV Expert Makeup Base $60 for 30ml

When my face has dried from the moisturiser then I apply a makeup primer with high sun protection. I favour this Lancome UV Expert Active Protection Make Up Base. I would also highly recommend MAC Prep and Prime Face Protect or Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Face Primer. If you want great makeup a primer is a must; it smoothes pores, fills fine lines and keeps your makeup looking fresh all day. Think of it like priming a canvas before painting. 

Let me know if you found that interesting or useful, I can do a similar rundown on my daily makeup routine. 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Amaya... good stuff to know.

    If you want to do your daily make-up routine, I would certainly be interested. It is good to compare and see what other people do, that might make an improvement to my routine.

    -kaytee

    ReplyDelete