Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My first tattoos

So tonight I got my first tattoos, a big deal in an alt girl's life!

So to answer the first and obvious question: Yes it hurt a bit, but no more than any number of other stupid things I've done to myself in the name of BDSM. My blood pressure dropped a bit and I had a few moments of heavy breathing and cold sweats but then the adrenaline kicked in and I perked up again. Sadly while the endorphins are there they don't rush like piercings, not the sort of thing you'd do for fun tiems.

The next question: Why wait till I'm 30, I have any number of piercings and am hardly afraid of looking weird. Well... Firstly tattoos are permanent, piercings are not and I had to be sure I knew what I wanted. I gave myself a policy that I had to want something for 2 years before I got it. When I decided on these a few years back, and stuck with it a barrage of people offered to buy me my tattoos for my birthday and failed 4 years in a row. Chops however is far more reliable than most ... and so here we are!

On the topic of you being an idiot and tattoos being permanent here's a PSA from Red Vs Blue:



Because I know you want to see it: here they are!



So what are they and why?

On the left hand wrist is the Lauburu or "Basque Cross" it's a symbol of the culture of my matriarchal family. Not a Christian cross it represents the 4 parts of man "spirit, life, consciousness, and form" and in the direction given is a symbol of prosperity and good luck. I wore one for most of my adult life around my neck and wanted it on myself permanently.

On the right hand wrist is the Mitsudomoe or 3 pointed Tomoe it's a symbol of my favourite culture Japan and represents the 3 parts of Shinto "Man, Earth, and Sky". It is commonly used in Japanese heraldic kamon.

To me this represents where I come from and where I choose to be, reflecting two cultures views of man and conveniently they're stylistically similar!

One last question: I had them done at Mischief Moon in Darlinghurst, recommended by a number of friends who'd had work done there. I had mine done by Gareth and was very happy with his treatment of the artwork and the advice he gave including discussing longevity, health and so on. A++ would buy again.

1 comment: